A downloadable game for Windows
“Vapor Memories” is a game made for 2018’s “Pastel Jam” game jam. It’s a puzzle game built in a heavily modified version of RPG Maker MV. The game is somewhat esoteric and is something of a meditation on the way our childhood relationship with family members effects our adult relationships with them.
Movement: Arrow Keys / Left Mouse
Confirm: Enter / Left Mouse (Dialogue Window)
Back: Escape / Right Mouse
Note: This game has dash (shift) and menu access disabled.
There are hazards the player must avoid as they progress through the game (spikes, fireballs, etc). You start with 100 Confidence and each will subtract 10 from it. Other challenges are presented and you may save at the end of each level.
Family Counseling Guide (Spoilers)
There are 3 main “routes” you can end up on depending on your choices at the end of the levels. We will refer to each of them in the following ways:
Level 1 (Brother)
At the end of the level you will be presented with the option to accept your brother or protect yourself from further potential harm.
- If you accept him you will “glitch” to take on part of his appearance. After accepting this you can go down the Family-Focused or Split routes.
- If you protect yourself you will not glitch. After accepting this you can go down the Sister-Focused or Split routes.
Level 2 (Sister)
There are 2 endings to this level depending on what path you take.
- If you take the path nearest to the entrance (ends of the left side of the map) you will get rejected by your sister, whom you want to be closer to.
- If you took the reject route on brother, this will trigger level “Mom”, putting you on the Self-Focused path.
- If you accepted your brother, you will be sent right to Father’s level, putting you on the split path.
- If you take the path farther to the entrance (ends of the right side of the map) you will get the “hard-earned” path, and you will earn your sister’s help. Either way you will “glitch”, getting half of your sister’s lower body.
- If you took the reject route on brother, you will be sent right to Father’s level, putting you on the Split-Path.
- If you accepted your brother you will get both glitches and be sent to the “Look At You” map, putting you on the Family-Focused route.
Level 3.A (Mom) (Self-Focused)
You will only get this route if you rejected your brother and took the nearest path on your sister’s map. On father’s level this will add Mother to your party if you fight Dad.
Level 3.B (Look At You) (Family-Focus)
You will only get this route if you accept your brother and took the farther path on your sister’s map.
Level 5 (Father)
This map is a race and there are many variables depending on your choices.
- If you took the farther route on your sister’s map she will cause you to jump over a wall early on, making the race much easier.
- If you accepted your brother he will boost your speed at the end.
- If you took the Self-Focused route, mom will take your brother’s place and boost your speed.
- The split route is the hardest, though you will get 1 boost (either brother or sister).
There is a final, RPG-style, battle. Your Confidence will be lower due to you probably hitting some hazards. You will be presented with a choice: do you forgive your father and accept that he is a human with flaws or reject him and hold him to a higher standard.
- Accept Dad: You will fight mom. Dad will auto-join your side.
- Reject Dad: You will fight Dad. If you took the Self-Focused route Mom will join you.
Click download now to get access to the following files: